Have a brilliant business idea but aren't sure where to begin? THE CLIMB may be your next step toward entrepreneurial success — and a chance to win up to $20,000!
Since 2001, THE CLIMB | Jake Jabs Business Plan Competition has supported the growth of collegiate startups and the entrepreneurial community across the Front Range.
Join us this fall for THE CLIMB SUMMIT, a special multi-day event to showcase the competition’s two decades of alumni, loyal partners, and promising new student business ideas. Backed by the Jake Jabs Center for Entrepreneurship at CU Denver and infamous entrepreneur, Jake Jabs, THE CLIMB is an annual event series that helps students and future business owners transform concepts into viable companies through mentorship, education, financial support, and real-world industry exchanges. With more than 600 mentor hours shared and $1.2 million awarded to date, the competition continues to grow and shape student experiences, local businesses, and the Colorado entrepreneurial community.
How It Works
Team Eligibility Requirements:
- At least one member of the team has to be a qualified/enrolled college student at a Colorado university or a community member (resident) of Colorado.
- The startup must be a concept under 2 years old. (Official Company Tax ID number is required to receive award money.) Total sales and revenues must be $0 to under $100,000.
- The concept being submitted cannot have received any seed/angel/venture capital (VC) funding before application deadline.
- Teams selected for semifinals are REQUIRED to have at least one team member present at THE CLIMB SUMMIT during Wednesday, Nov. 17, and Thursday, Nov. 18.
- Semifinalists will be REQUIRED to submit a full business plan (download template below).
- Winners must form an appropriate business entity, if they have not done so previously. Proof of business entity must be shown to the Jake Jabs Center team by this date in order to receive prize money.
- If you/your team applied for THE CLIMB in a previous year, you/your team can compete under the same concept/business as long as you did not make the top finalists pitch round (and meet the above qualifications). Teams that did apply and make the top finalists pitch round can compete again, BUT must submit a new concept/business (and meet the above qualifications).
- A complete online application submitted through Reviewr.
- A 60-90 second video pitch of your business idea or existing startup.
- A 2-page executive summary, including a one-paragraph partner agreement.
- Applications close on
Friday, October 15Sunday, Oct. 24. Incomplete applications and applications sent after the deadline will be automatically disqualified.
- There is NO application fee!
Why Should I Enter?
THE CLIMB gives aspiring student entrepreneurs the opportunity to connect with (and pitch to) some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the Rocky Mountain West. For those willing to make THE CLIMB, the benefits of participating include:
THE CLIMB SUMMIT
Applications Open | Monday, Sept. 27
EXTENDED! Applications Close | Sunday, Oct. 24
Announcement of Semifinalists | Friday, Oct. 29
Practice Pitches | Invite Only
Semifinalists will practice their pitches in front of a group of mentors to obtain feedback before THE CLIMB SUMMIT. They will then have time to refine their presentations, which will be due to the Jake Jabs Center team.
SEMIFINALS | Wednesday, Nov. 17 | RSVP HERE
Attend this evening event to see competing teams from Colorado colleges and the community pitch ideas on product/service, health & bioinnovation, nonprofit, and mission-driven ventures.
Sponsor THE CLIMB SUMMIT!
Our business plan competition exists due to the amazing support (via both monetary and in-kind contributions) we’ve received from our sponsors.
By sponsoring THE CLIMB SUMMIT, you can help students and aspiring entrepreneurs contribute to our growing startup and business community. Every semester, the Jake Jabs Center is able to provide students with exclusive scholarships for entrepreneurship courses as a result of fundraising events such as this. Help us support these hardworking individuals and be a part of this prestigious competition. With cash and in-kind prizes, we want to give competitors the financial and professional support they need to jumpstart their business ideas.
If you or your company is interested in sponsoring THE CLIMB SUMMIT, please contact our Associate Director Sarah Engel at 303-515-8503 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Presenting Sponsor: $25,00
- Platinum Sponsor: $15,000
- Gold Sponsor: $10,000
- Silver Sponsor: $7,500
- In-Kind Donations